On this page;
For day trippers, shoppers and visitors to Belgium – using supermarkets and hypermarkets.
There are a few supermarkets in Belgium of use to British shoppers. The Delhaize Supermarket in Adinkerke is open on Sunday as well.
Supermarkets in France (Calais) – Aldi, ATAC, Leader Price, Lidl, Match, Monoprix.
CREDIT CARDS – we suggest you ring your credit card company before shopping in France – increased fraud means they are turning down shoppers cards if their spending deviates from the norm. Take your mobile – you can often sort the problem out over the phone.
Supermarkets and Hypermarkets • Cité Europe • Markets • Public Holiday Shopping • Shopping in Calais • Shopping tips and advice – Clothes & Shoe sizes • French food & clothing brands • Sunday Shopping • French labels and terms • Car weight Limits
– BIO-PLANET. This stylish supermarket only stocks organic products – tea and coffee, vegetarian and vegan products, meat, cosmetics, books, freshly baked bread, fruit and veg, dairy produce, clothes and so on. www.bioplanet.be
– Champion Supermarket. Mostly in the South. www.champion.be
– CORA Belgium (mostly in the south). www.cora.be
– Colruyt Supermarkets. Nearest is in Veurne just north of Adinkerke. Vaartstraat 15, 8630. Veurne. Tel: 0032 58 28 73 46. Closed Sundays. www.colruyt.be
– Delhaize (Adinkerke). Tel: 0032 58 41 20 04. Open; Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 8.00pm, Sunday 10.00am to 6.30pm. Delhaise stocks more or less the same range of products as you would find anywhere else – own-brands and big brand names. Delhaise is a class apart largely because of its decent organic and vegetarian offering. www.delhaize.be / www.delhaizewineworld.com
– Intermarché Belgium. www.intermarche.be
– LIDL Supermarket, De Panne (Adinkerke). Lidl is very cheap, but don't expect to find any well-known brands here.
PROFI – This chain sells cheap own-brand products as well as the big brand names at reduced prices. Part of the Delhaize group.
– SPAR Supermarket. www.sparretail.be
– SUPER-GB Supermarkets (part of the Carrefour Group). www.carrefourbelgium.be
Tourist Office information – in Oostende there is a Delhaize store not far from the train station. In Bruges there are two large hypermarkets on the N9 (Ghent road) a mile out of town (Delhaize and Carrefour).
Auchan Supermarket. www.auchan.lu
– Cactus Supermarkets. www.cactus.lu